Read: Luke 23:50-56
Holy Saturday was the darkest day in the history of the world. The man who had claimed to be God (and backed it up with His actions) lay dead in a tomb. And yet they rested on the Sabbath (Saturday). They endured the awful silence of God, yet they obeyed the fourth commandment.
- What do you think Saturday would have been like for the disciples and these women? How do you think you would have coped with the death of Jesus?
- Do you find it more difficult to obey God in times of despair? What do you think this reveals about us?
- Are there any ways in which you feel God is failing you right now? How can you show obedience to His commands even in your pain?
Steps to take:
- Sit together in silence for a few minutes to remember God’s silence on that Saturday. Then sing a song together. We’d suggest “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.”
- Do you know someone who has endured great trial but remained faithful to God in spite of it? Contact that person and let them know what their faith has meant to you.